The School of Stage & Screen’s primary purpose is to prepare students to work in the art, craft, and business of film and theatre. As one of the few programs to combine Motion Picture Production, Theatre, Dance, and Musical Theatre within a single unit, the School of Stage & Screen believes in the power of collaboration, both among our own students and those (such as musicians, designers, and graphic artists) in other disciplines.
- We place a strong emphasis on narrative, believing the ability to tell a story is essential to each of our disciplines.
- We maintain a strong emphasis on technique, but we believe technique must ultimately be in service to the artwork.
- We recognize that in a time of great technical innovation we must provide our students with the breadth of knowledge and creative strategies to adapt to whatever new technologies may emerge.
- We believe students should understand the tradition from which our work comes, placing it within its historical, social and critical contexts.
- We believe in a faculty of practitioners who are devoted to their disciplines and have real-world experience as artists.
- We believe our students should understand the whole process, even though they may only work in one segment of it.
- We believe in the power of art to transform both the audience and the artist.