The School of Stage & Screen’s primary purpose is to prepare students to work in the art, craft, and business of film and theatre. As one of the few programs to combine Film & Televison Production, Theatre, Dance, and Musical Theatre within a single unit, the School of Stage & Screen believes in the power of collaboration, both among our own students and those (such as musicians, designers, and graphic artists) in other disciplines.
- We place a strong emphasis on narrative, believing the ability to tell a story is essential to each of our disciplines.
- We maintain a strong emphasis on technique, but we believe technique must ultimately be in service to the artwork.
- We recognize that in a time of great technical innovation we must provide our students with the breadth of knowledge and creative strategies to adapt to whatever new technologies may emerge.
- We believe students should understand the tradition from which our work comes, placing it within its historical, social and critical contexts.
- We believe in a faculty of practitioners who are devoted to their disciplines and have real-world experience as artists.
- We believe our students should understand the whole process, even though they may only work in one segment of it.
- We believe in the power of art to transform both the audience and the artist.