WCU Student Ensembles
Instrumental and vocal ensembles
What’s Going On?
Calendar of Music Events
Following is a suggested list of solos for each instrument. Other solos of equal or greater difficulty may be substituted. For specific information about selecting and preparing solos, please contact the appropriate studio teacher using the links provided toward the right.
Any two of the following (must be performed from memory):
- A song in Italian or English from Baroque or classical era
- A song by Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Wolf, R. Strauss (may be sung in English)
- Any selection in Expressive Singing, Vol. I or II by Christy
- An aria from an opera or oratorio
Flute: any standard flute solo such as a sonata by Bach or Handel, or any Paris Conservatory contest piece
Oboe: any sonata by Handel, any of the Romances by Schumann, any selection from Concert and Contest Collection
Clarinet: any movement(s) from the standard clarinet solo repertoire demonstrating both lyrical and technical playing, such as Weber’s Concertino, Cavallini’s Adagio and Tarantella, or concertos by Weber or Mozart
Bassoon: any Baroque sonata or the Mozart Concerto
Saxophone: Eccles Sonata, Bozza Aria, any Bach or Handel transcription, or Glazounov Concerto.
Trumpet: any movement from a standard sonata, concerto, or contest piece, such as concertos by Haydn or Hummel, Aria con Variazioni by Handel (arr. Fitzgerald), Ode for Trumpet by Alfred Reed
Horn: any movement from a Mozart concerto, or any selection from Solos for the Horn Player by Mason Jones
Trombone/Euphonium: any standard selection on state contest lists or honor band audition selection
Tuba: any standard selection on state contest lists or honor band audition selections
Snare Drum: rudiments, sightreading, and any etude in the concert style from Cirone’s Portraits in Rhythm
Marimba/Xylophone: any two-mallet musical study or etude, such as those from Whaley’s Fundamental Studies for Mallets, p. 36; Whaley’s Musical Studies for the Intermediate Mallet Player, pp. 6-9, 14-15, 19-28; or any etude from Goldenberg’s Modern School.
Timpani: any of the following etudes from Whaley’s Musical Studies for the Intermediate Timpani Player: p. 9, 21-22, 26, 31, 38
Piano: two contrasting pieces from solo repertoire such as Bach’s Two-Part Inventions, movements from Haydn or Mozart Sonatinas and Sonatas, Chopin Preludes or Waltzes
Jazz Piano or MIDI/Synthesis: contact Mr. Pavel Wlosok (828-227-3261) to review appropriate audition procedures
- Perform chords as a guitar accompaniment to a standard or jazz composition of your choice (i.e., a tune such as Autumn Leaves, All The Things You Are, Blue Bossa, etc.)
- Perform the melody of a standard or jazz composition of your choice.
- Improvise a melody over the chord changes of a standard or jazz composition of your choice.
- Perform a prepared guitar solo piece of your choice. The ideal prepared piece would be a chord/melody arrangement of a standard or jazz tune.
- Perform a bass line accompaniment to a standard or jazz composition of your choice (Autumn Leaves, All The Things You Are, Blue Bossa, etc.)
- Perform a bass line in the following styles: Blues, Latin, Funk, Rock, Rock Ballad.
- Perform a prepared bass solo piece of your choice (etude or other bass solo).