The mission of the academic unit of Professional Selling and Marketing is to promote excellence in fields of marketing and professional selling and move Western Carolina University to the forefront in marketing education and training. We adhere to producing distinctive graduates with outstanding leadership potential through a curriculum emphasizing active learning involving academic studies enhanced by practical experience gained from engagement opportunities with businesses, and economic and community development agencies in the region and beyond. Our curriculum incorporates the core values of integrity, strong ethical values, an appreciation for diversity, intellectual vitality, and a passion for excellence.
We strive to develop a community where scholarship is encouraged at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, wherein a forum for examining the principles and practices of the business world is examined. In addition to the basic marketing principles and theories, computer application, internationalization of the marketing curriculum, social responsibility and ethical business standards are emphasized. Further, theory is blended with practical experience through a variety of innovative teaching techniques, e.g., experiential exercises, cases, projects, et cetera, to ensure that students are exposed to material that is on the “cutting edge” of the business world. Also, students are encouraged – and supported – to engage in professionally – related clubs/associations, co – op experiences and internship programs, as well as consulting and/or research with marketing faculty. Further, students are assisted individually and collectively by marketing faculty through strong advisement and placement efforts, as well as exposure to business persons. These combined efforts help develop and enhance oral and written communication skills, as well as analytical thinking and problem – solving among students. A Western Carolina University marketing major will be BUSINESS READY when they graduate.
Research indicates that more college graduates will become sales people than all other careers combined. Yet only a few dozen of the more than four thousand colleges and universities across the world have established a formal sales program. Currently, we are the only marketing program in North Carolina to offer a specialization in professional selling and sales management. Our primary goal is to be on the forefront of marketing education by meeting the needs our students and the business community through a curriculum emphasizing professional selling. The specific goals and outcomes for the program are listed below.
1. Provide students with the ability to think critically in problem solving activities and apply the marketing theories and strategies learned throughout their marketing coursework and program.
2. Provide undergraduate students with the knowledge of key marketing concepts and principles used as a foundation by marketing professionals in the implementation and control of marketing strategy and marketing management activities.
3. Facilitate a learning environment that provides students with a foundation for making ethical decisions and understand the importance of social responsibility in business.
4. Prepare students for a successful career in marketing through refining student written, oral, and technology skills. These skills are crucial for graduates to succeed in the workplace.
5. Provide undergraduate students with an understanding of global business and the importance of an appreciation and knowledge of cultural differences and similarities in the multicultural global business environment.
6. Provide students that graduate with a marketing degree a learning environment (through coursework and activities) that supports their satisfaction with their decision to obtain a major in marketing.
Intended Student Outcomes
- Graduates will have the ability to make decisions and to think critically based on the acquisition of theoretical and applied marketing knowledge.
- Graduates will possess a thorough understanding of important marketing concepts.
- Graduates will possess the ethical and global perspectives important in contemporary business environments.
- Graduates will demonstrate skills important for a successful marketing career.
- Graduates will be satisfied with their decision to obtain a major in marketing and
to assume a leadership role.