Western Carolina University's School University Teacher Education Partnership (SUTEP) was established in 1997, at the same time that 14 University School Teacher Education Partnerships were established in other North Carolina state-supported universities with teacher education programs. These partnerships are designed to strengthen school-university relationships, establish professional development partnerships, strengthen teacher preparation and continued development, connect practice with teaching and learning theory, and share resources.
SUTEP has partnerships with more than 100 schools in 18 school systems in the western region of North Carolina. Programs are comprehensive, collaboratively planned and implemented, and include:
- Recruiting teacher education students
- Placing students in schools
- Providing professional development opportunities for teachers and school executives
- Redesigning teacher education programs
- Developing grant proposals
- Working together on research projects