Payments and Mailing Instructions
Please read the following information carefully and send all application paperwork to the CEAP licensure specialist.
- All transcripts are required for any degree not already on file in the Licensure Section of the NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI). Original transcripts must show the degree and date it was awarded. Include original, degree-dated transcript and transcripts for any coursework you have completed not listed on your transcript (community college or post-degree credits.) Grade reports and computer-generated copies are not acceptable. The CEAP licensure specialist will supply an original WCU transcript to include with your license application.
- If you earned your bachelor's degree from another country, DPI requires a copy of your transcript with original credential evaluation. One of many acceptable evaluation agencies for foreign transcripts is International Education Evaluations (IEE). Transcript evaluations must be translated into English by the evaluating agency. DPI will not accept translations done by the applicant.
- WCU transcripts will not be issued until university accounts are paid in full and holds are removed. Transcripts need to accompany license applications to DPI. Contact the One Stop Student Service Center at 828-227-7170 for account information to see if you need to resolve any issues to remove any holds.
- If you wish information about you to be disclosed to prospective employers and DPI for the purpose of employment and your teacher/school professional license, please complete and return the Authorization for Release of Information form (PDF) to the CEAP licensure specialist.
- Completed license applications are processed at WCU after degree conferral dates are posted and state licensure requirements have been met. Completed license applications for alternative licensure and add-on programs are processed after grades are posted, presentations and portfolios have been assessed, if applicable, and licensure requirements have been met.
- Make sure that the address you provide on all DPI forms is an active mailing address. Licenses are not forwarded.
- A DPI processing fee for teacher certification, administrative changes, additional educational levels, and new areas is $55.00. You may pay by personnel check, money order, or certified check made payable to the Department of Public Instruction. You may also pay by Visa or MasterCard. If you wish to pay by credit card, fill out the credit card authorization form. No additional fee is required if you currently hold a lateral entry or provisional license in the area and at the same educational level you are now applying for license.
- If payment is refused for processing fees paid by check or credit card, any license that has been processed by DPI will become null and void.