Barbara Schade, Licensure Specialist
1 University Way, Suite 201
Cullowhee, NC 28723
828.227.2000 tel
828.227.7388 fax

91 Killian Bldg Lane, Ste 201
Cullowhee, NC 28723

Teacher and School Professional Licensure

The Licensure Section of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (DPI) is responsible for examining credentials and issuing licenses that qualify individuals to seek employment as teachers, administrators, and other special service personnel in North Carolina public schools. 

All professional employees in public schools must hold a license for the subject or grade level they teach or for the professional education assignment that they hold.  The DPI licensure process may take 40-60 business days.  DPI can be reached at 800.577.7994 or by email  When emailing, please include your full name and last four digits of your social security number.

Select your specific area of licensure below.  If you have questions after reviewing the instructions, contact the College of Education and Allied Profession’s (CEAP) licensure specialist, Barbara Schade.

lst teaching license Initial SP1 license for BSED or BK-BS completers

alternative routes Licensure-only, MAT, or clearing lateral entry or provisional licenses
School Administrator

Principal or Superintendent Add-on Certification AIG or  Public School Leadership 
Special Service Personnel School Counseling,School Psychologist, Speech-Language Pathologist, and School Social Work  Updating a License Adding areas or educational levels 

Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services