Barbara Schade, Licensure Specialist
91 Killian Bldg Lane, Ste 201
Cullowhee, NC 28723
828.227.2000 tel
828.227.7388 fax

First NC Teaching License

To apply for an initial or "A" level North Carolina teaching license, complete and submit the following to the CEAP licensure specialist:


  • Form A - Application for a North Carolina License.  Must include handwritten signature. 
  • Form V - Verification by Institution. Complete only top three lines.
  • LEA/IHE Certification of Teaching Capacity (CTC) - As of fall 2011, the CTC replaces Form S and is completed at the end of Student Teaching/Internship by student, cooperating teacher, university supervisor, principal, and academic supervisor, if applicable.  The original document is to be submitted to the Office of Field Experience.  Your license application cannot be sent to the Department of Public Instruction without this document. 
  • Limited use of Form S - Student Teaching/Internship Performance. To be used only by those students who completed Student Teaching/Internship prior to summer 2011.  Complete top and middle portions of the form.  Have your cooperating teacher check the appropriate box for student’s performance and sign as LEA supervisor and have your principal sign as the superintendent or designee. B-K majors should have the licensed teacher who evaluated your teacher work sample or your cooperating teacher sign as LEA supervisor and your internship facility director or your principal sign as superintendent or designee.
  • A fee is also required in order to submit your application packet, see Payments and Mailing Instructions.


 Test Scores




Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services