Barbara Schade, Licensure Specialist
1 University Way, Suite 201
Cullowhee, NC 28723
828.227.2000 tel
828.227.7388 fax

91 Killian Bldg Lane, Ste 201
Cullowhee, NC 28723

Alternative Routes to Teacher Licensure

To apply for your initial or “A” level license upon completion of your Lateral Entry Licensure-Only Program, Phase 1 of your MAT, or your entire MAT degree program, please complete and submit the following to the CEAP licensure specialist:

Forms and Payment

  • Form A - Application for a North Carolina license by first time licensure applicants.  Statement of Applicant section must include handwritten signature.
  • Form V - Verification by Institution.  Complete top three lines only.
  • LEA/IHE Certification of Teaching Capacity (CTC) -  The CTC  is completed at the end of Student Teaching/Internship by student, cooperating teacher, university supervisor, principal, and academic supervisor, if applicable.  The original document is submitted to the Office of Field Experience, usually by  your University Supervisor. Your license application cannot be sent to the Department of Public Instruction without this document.
  • If you are currently teaching with a lateral entry or provisional license, contact your adviser or the CEAP licensure specialist for important licensing instructions.  Use Form U to clear a lateral entry or provisional license or to request a name change.  Fill in personal information (top three lines) and Statement of Applicant section, including handwritten signature.  WCU will complete middle section and CEAP Associate Dean will sign as Superintendent or Designee.   Supporting documentation is required to request a name change.  All forms and supporting material should be sent to the CEAP licensure specialist.
  • A DPI processing fee is also required in order to submit your application packet, see Payments and Mailing Instructions.

Supporting Material 
  • Licensure Exam Scores – Submit original or legible, unaltered copies of qualifying Praxis II  and/or Pearson score(s), if applicable, with your application paperwork to the CEAP licensure specialist.  Both Praxis II and Pearson qualifying scores are required for a Special Education: General Curriculum license.  Be sure to confirm NC state testing requirements before you register for a test. 
  • Transcripts - click here to review requirements. The CEAP licensure specialist will take care of your WCU transcript(s). All other transcripts should be sent directly to the CEAP licensure specialist.
  • Optional Form E - DPI Verification of Teaching Experience forms — both professional educator and teaching assistant—can be completed if you have prior K-12 experience, one for each former employer. If applicable, mail this form along with license application materials to the CEAP licensure specialist to avoid additional DPI licensing fees.




Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services