Writing in Communication
By Dr. John Slater
- Writing is a central part of communication, so it is a vital part of the field. Without
writing, communication would be impossible. In my classes, I stress style, grammar,
and attending to the needs of the reader. Making writing useful and easy to understand
- Students who make As in writing for Communication create paragraphs that make me want
to read the next one. This sense of flow and interest results in a high grade.
- Students who take the time to edit and rewrite their papers receive higher grades.
The grades of Bs, Cs, and Ds directly correlate to the amount of time I suspect they
have spent working on their papers.
- My course meets in an electronic classroom, and we often make use of this technology
to write in class. The use of computers enables students to write and revise easily
- Writers for newspapers and magazines need to know about journalistic writing to succeed in their fields. I aim to teach my students as many techniques in these areas as possible.