Important Grading Notes
- All grades are to be posted through MyCat within 48 hours (includes weekends/holiday(s) after the final exam.
- No grades should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for entry.
- Faculty who experience problems with Web grading should contact the Registrar’s Office at ext. 7216 for assistance. Connectivity and MyCat issues should be reported to the IT Help Desk at ext 7487.
- You must report a grade for each student listed on your roster.
- Availability of Web Grading: When courses can be graded is determined by the part-of-term in which the course was built. In the fall and spring terms, grading for courses in the full part-of-term generally becomes available 1-3 days prior to the start of exams.
- Grade of “I”: A grade of incomplete may be awarded only when there is a reasonable prospect that the student can pass the course by making up the work missed. The instructor is required to list the conditions to remove the grade of incomplete and forward it to the department head. An Explanation of Grade of Incomplete is available at the resources and forms page. An evaluative must be submitted through the MyCat Grade-Change process by the last day of classes of the next regular semester (excluding summer) or the grade will become an “F”. Removals of incompletes are due in the Registrar’s Office by the last class day of a semester for inclusion in GPA calculations.
- Audit Grade: A student’s registration cannot be changed at grade reporting time. Audit grades (AU) are recorded on the class lists for students who are officially auditing a course.
- Final Grade Changes: Students are allowed 35 days after the end of final exams in which to report an error in grades as released officially by the Registrar. When an instructor has reported a grade officially and an error has been made, the student must contact the instructor and the instructor must initiate a grade change in MyCat. Grade changes must be approved by the department head and dean of the college involved before any adjustment is made on an academic record.
Procedures for Entering Grades through the Web
Please Note: You must use MyCat to enter your grades.
How to Submit Grades
- Access Western’s Home page www.wcu.edu and select “MyCat.”
- Enter your Username (Faculty ID: new 92# and Password [PIN]).
- Switch to the “Personal Services” tab.
- Click on “Faculty.”
- Select “Final Grades.”
- Select “Term” and click “Submit.”
- Select the “Course” you need to grade.
- Enter your grades in groups of 25, click “Submit” and proceed to next page.
- When completed, log out of MyCat.
NOTES: Student rosters are displayed in groups of 25 students at a time. If you have lengthy
rosters, be sure to select the next group of 25 students. As a security feature, MyCat
will automatically log you out after a period of inactivity. This period has been
set to 15 minutes.
How to Enter Grades
- Enter Grades
- Type/enter each grade using the pull-down menu. You will process 25 students at a time.
- S/U grades may only be reported for courses noted as S/U grading.
- “W” grades will not be accepted.
- Graduate courses will not accept a grade of “D” or plus/minus grades.
- Instructors are required to submit Last Date of Attendance for each grade of I, F, or U.
- Click “Submit Grades” when ready.
- Note any errors. A statement will appear at the top of the roster indicating the number
of students graded and the number of errors.
- For errors, scroll back down the roster noting the reason for the error.
- Enter the correct grade and submit again.
- If you made a mistake with a submitted grade, you may re-submit a correct grade until the web grading process is turned off at the end of the grading cycle.
- When finished, at the bottom of the page select either:
- Class Grade to submit grades for another class, or
- Click on “Logout.”