How Faculty can Register Students or Adjust Student Schedules through My Cat
Many faculty prefer for their advisees to be registered while they are being advised. If you want students to register in your office follow these simple instructions. An Alt-PIN is not required.
Student Registration Times are published within My Cat and on the Registrar’s website. Faculty should keep in
mind that the information system will not permit students to register before their
designated time. The following informational message will appear when students attempt
to register before their time.
Step-by-Step Registration Instruction for Faculty/Advisers
- Log in to My Cat using your faculty username (new 92#) and password. Do not log in as the student you are assisting.
- Click on the “Personal Services” tab.
- Click on “Faculty Services.”
- Click on “Registration Add/Drop.”
- Select the appropriate term from the drop-down menu.
- In the “Student or Advisee ID” box enter the student’s 92# (or search for the student by name) and submit.
- Verify the selected student and submit.
When prompted, allow the student to enter his/her identity PIN and press submit.
- At this point it will be as if you are logged in as this student. You will now be able to register and drop eligible students from courses.
- To select a course to add, click in the box in front of the CRN and then click on “Register.”
The official census date for the university is the 10th class day of the term. We will not receive credit from General Administration or funding from the State of NC for any student not properly registered by census day.
All degree-seeking undergraduates and teacher certification students are required to have an Alt-PIN in order to register for class. Alt-PINs control registration times and are distributed through the student’s adviser. They are set approximately four weeks prior to registration and are set based on student-earned hours. The higher the earned hours the higher the range in which the Alt-PIN is set, and the earlier the registration time. Only the last four digits of the Alt-PIN are randomly generated.
Students with a priority registration option such as Honors College students, students with disabilities and student-athletes are assigned Alt-PINs in the 980000 to 999999 range regardless of their earned hours.
Graduate students, exchange students, DLP students, and part-time non-degree-seeking students do not need an Alt-Pin in order to register.
No student, regardless of their Alt-PIN, may register before her/his designated registration time.
Students are required to enter their Alt-PIN once per term. Students do not need to remember their Alt-PIN as Alt-PINs are only required for the initial Web registration. Students are assigned the same Alt-PIN for summer and fall. They must enter the Alt-PIN once for summer and again for fall.
Where Faculty & Advisers can find Alt-PINs
My Cat > Personal Services tab > Faculty & Services > Advisor menu > Select the Correct Registration Term > Advisee Listing