Granting Instructor Permission via My Cat
Instructors teaching courses whose only prerequisite is “permission of the instructor” must give permission according to the instructions below. Once permission is obtained the student must still register for the course. Permission of the instructor will not over-ride pre-requisites or other registration restrictions. Students who do not meet pre-requisites should be referred to the department head of the department that owns the course.
Where to go to grant instructor permission
Log in to My Cat > Personal Services > Faculty & Advisor > Registration Overrides > Select Term > Query for Student > (page below will display)
Instructor Initiated Drop for Non-Attendance
The instructor initiated drop for non-attendance is part of a broad effort to:
- Encourage attendance
- Identify students who are not attending and remove them from class rosters
- Recover seats and make them available before the end of drop/add
- Clean up enrollment files prior to reporting our census for funding
- This policy is not intended to be punitive even though some students may be adversely impacted
The instructor initiated drop for non-attendance is a part of the University’s Class Attendance Policy. The policy does not differentiate by level, campus or instructional method and is intended to apply uniformly to all students.
How to Initiate a Drop for Non-Attendance
- During the first week of class instructors may initiate a process that will drop a student from the class roster by selecting Drop on the Academic Progress Reporting sheet in My Cat.
- The actual drop has to be executed manually by the Registrar’s Office.
- Good practice is to wait until the student misses a second class before initiating a drop. Professional judgment is necessary with regard to those classes that only meet once per week.
Students that are dropped for non-attendance may re-enroll on a “seats available” basis through the end of drop/add. Students who attempt to re-enroll after the drop/add deadline are required to complete a late registration form and turn it in at the OneStop. Under no circumstance will students be allowed to register after the tenth day census.