Transient Permission

Transient Permission

Regularly enrolled students who desire to take any course at another institution on a transient basis and transfer it must secure the appropriate department head’s approval before enrollment at the other institution. Students must be in good standing and academically eligible to re-enroll at Western Carolina University to secure transient permission. Course work taken at an institution that has a consortium agreement with Western Carolina University will be given credit on the same basis as course work taken at WCU.

Transient Permission Procedures

  1. Request a copy of the proposed institution's course schedule to ensure that the coursework will be offered during the transient term.
  2. Secure course description(s) to facilitate the transfer evaluation. Course equivalencies must be verified by an authorized individual (Department Head and/or an officer of the Registrar's Office). If the proposed institution is a North Carolina community college, course descriptions are not required. For North Carolina Community College equivalencies see Course Transfer Policies and Evaluations. These equivalencies require no further authorization.
  3. Transient Permission Forms can be obtained from the Registrar’s Forms Page, the departmental office or the Registrar's Office. At this time, the course equivalency may be verified by the Registrar’s Office or the student may be instructed to obtain a departmental evaluation.
  4. Signature of the department head of your major is required. If your major is undecided, the signature of the Director of the Advising Center  should be obtained in lieu of the department head's signature. The Registrar’s Office will provide verification of your academic standing. Two copies of the Transient Permission form will be provided to the student: Copy 1- (Original)-Student/Visiting Institution, Copy 2-Registrar's Office.
  5. Upon completion of the course(s), the student should request that an official transcript be forwarded to the WCU Admissions Office for processing. NOTE: Only courses(s) passed with a grade of C or better may be transferred.

Please Note: Students should consult their academic adviser when determining courses to complete at another institution.  The Registrar's Office will assist in determining the WCU equivalent of a transfer course; however, the Registrar's Office does not provide academic advisement with regard to the appropriateness of the course for a student's degree program.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services