Careers in Recreational Therapy
Bachelor of Science Degree in:
What jobs are available?
Uses recreational and other activities as treatment interventions to improve the lives of persons with physical, mental, emotional, and/or social disadvantages. Techniques used include art, music & dance, aquatic exercises, structured social events, outdoor awareness activities, group problem-solving activities, behavioral management, lifestyle counseling, progressive relation, guided imagery, therapeutic massage, meditation, T'ai Chi Ch'uan, reality orientation, and family therapy.
Who employs Recreational Therapy Majors?
- Psychiatric hospitals
- Nursing/convalescent homes
- Community outreach programs
- Private consulting
- Wilderness therapy programs
- Adult day care centers
- Prisons/juvenile care centers
- Physical rehabilitation facilities
Good skills or traits for Recreational Therapy Majors:
- Should be comfortable working with persons who are ill or have disabilities.
- Patient, tact, creativity, imagination.
- Should have an outgoing personality; one who genuinely enjoys being with people and easing the pain of others.
- Deep-seated interest in spirit-mind-body wellness and healing.
Special training, degrees or experience I may need:
- Become a Certified RT by obtaining Bachelor's degree at an accredited college/university, pass a written certification exam, and 360 hours of a clinical internship.
Websites to visit: