Careers in Parks and Recreation Management
Parks and Recreation Management
What jobs are available?
Park/forest ranger, Community recreation leader/administrator, Facility manager, Camp counselor/management, Instructor of outdoor activities, Travel support staff, Resort staff/management, Recreation program director, Private club staff, Military recreation, Outdoor educator, Commercial recreation staff/management.
Who employs Parks & Recreation Management majors?
- City, state and federal parks
- Recreation centers
- Non-profit groups
- State and local social agencies
- College campus recreation
- Resorts and hotels
- Theme parks
- Travel companies and agencies
- Outdoor programs and camps
- Rafting companies
- State and federal forests
- City and county recreation
- Military recreation
Good skills or traits for Parks & Recreation Management majors:
- Demonstrate leadership abilities.
- Be a good decision maker and problem solver.
- Enjoy people and work well with groups of all ages.
- Capable of communicating effectively and have good supervision skills.
- Develop leadership skills in coordinating and directing others in various activities.
- Enjoy working out of doors or travel.
Special training, degrees or experience I may need:
- Do an internship, co-op, or summer job in area of interest.
- Work for campus groups like Base Camp Cullowhee, LMP, Intramurals or the Campus Recreation Center for extra experience..
- Join a campus club or a national recreation professional organization.
- Learn sports and develop outdoor skills.
- Graduate work required for administrative and university teaching.
- Earn certifications in first aid, CPR, lifeguarding and other specialties.
Websites to visit: