Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Degree in
Health Information Management
Within the College of Health and Human Sciences
Health Information Management professionals have earned a prominent leadership role in ensuring the quality, privacy, and efficiency of clinical information as the healthcare industry moves toward an increasingly electronic and global environment.
There is a high demand for Health Information Management Professionals. Many current positions are going unfulfilled. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is prediciting a 49% growth of postitions by 2010.
What jobs are available?
Department director or assistant director, Documentation specialist responsible for monitoring accuracy and completeness of electronic and personal health records and other clinical databases, Data quality manager, Data mining and analytics, Coding and revenue cyle management, Information access and disclosure specialist including release of information under HIPAA, Chief information officer, Organizational privacy or security officer.
Who employs Health Information Management majors?
- Inpatient/acute care hospitals
- Outpatient/ambulatory care
- Physician office/clinic
- Skilled nursing facility
- Home care/hospice
- Consulting firms
- Government agencies
- Insurance companies
- Public health agencies
- Technical vendors
- Educational institutions
Good skills or traits for Health Information Management majors:
- Be extremely accurate and pay close attention to details.
- Good judgment and organizational skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Be able to get along with others and work in teams.
- Work well under pressure.
Special training, degrees or experience I may need:
- Join the Student Health Information Management (SHIMA) club on campus.
- Become a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) by passing the national credentialing examination offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) after graduation.
Websites to visit:
- American Health Information Management Association
- WCU Health Information Management Program