Careers in Communication
Bachelor of Science Degree in
What jobs are available?
- Broadcasting: TV or radio - on-air talent, editing, sales, programming or production.
- Broadcasting Sales: Marketing consultant or account executive for radio and television advertising sales.
- Print Media: Magazine/newspaper/Publisher - writing, editing, publishing, technical writing.
- Public Relations: Research, writing/editing, special events, fund raising, administration.
- Communication Training and Development: Business training programs, Human Resources.
Who employs students with this major?
- TV and cable companies
- Radio stations
- Online/print publishers
- Newspapers/magazines/professional organizations
- Advertising agencies
- Federal, state, & local governments
- Businesses & trade associations
- Colleges, universities & schools
- Non-profit & special interest groups
- Public relations & advertising firms
Good skills or traits for students with this major:
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Develop creativity and initiative.
- Develop strong research, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate talent, persistence, assertiveness, competitive spirit and enthusiasm.
- Ability to work under pressure, withstand criticism and have high energy level.
Special training, degrees or experience I may need:
- Do an internship or co-op in area of interest.
- Compile a portfolio of writing, graphics, and ideas.
- Join campus clubs and professional groups related to major.
- Work at campus radio, newspaper or Nomad.
- Do telemarketing for Admissions/Advancement, public relations for LMP.
- Learn computer and typing skills especially for print majors.
Websites to visit: