Careers in Biology
Bachelor of Science Degree in
Teaching Certification is also available that would lead to a Bachelor of Science in Science Education with a concentration in Biology. See College of Education and Allied Professions for more information.
What jobs are available?
Product development, Industrial quality control, Technical sales, Analysis and testing, Consulting, Forensics, Environmental protection and research, Legal, Medical and scientific research, Teaching, University or special library, Patent agent, and Technical writer.
Who employs students with this major?
- Secondary schools, colleges and universities
- Clinics and hospitals
- Pharmaceutical, biotech, and chemical Companies
- Public health agencies
- Federal/state/local government laboratories & agencies
- Medical research laboratories
- Private research foundations
- Agricultural industry
- Zoos, museums and libraries
Good skills or traits for students with this major:
- Develop excellent laboratory skills, be precise and patient, learn to problem solve.
- Take other sciences, mathematics, and computer technology courses as electives.
- Specialize, pick a minor that enhances the specialty (business/journalism/sales).
Special training, degrees or experience I may need:
- A PhD. is needed for teaching at the University/college level and for advanced research and management positions.
- Do an internship or co-op work in the University labs or Highland Bio Station.
- A B.S.Ed. and certification are needed for public secondary teaching. Alternative certification is available in most states.
- Further study and advanced degrees are needed to become a physician, veterinarian, dentist or for some specialized research.
Websites to visit: