Careers in Accounting
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Degree with a concentration in
What jobs are available?
Certified public accountant, Internal auditor, Tax consultant, Systems and procedures, Management advisory services, Management accounting, Cost accounting, Forensic accounting, and Government accounting.
Who employs students with this major?
- Private accounting firms
- Nonprofit organizations
- Government agencies
- Businesses and industries
- Tax preparation companies
- Hospitals and health organizations
- Banks and other financials
Good skills or traits for students with this major:
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Decision-making skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Good concentration and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to analyze, compare and interpret facts and figures.
Special training, degrees or experience I may need:
- Do an internship, co-op or summer job in your field.
- Learn to use accounting and internal auditing software.
- Consider a specialization (International Business or a specific Industry).
- Accountants may hold licenses in many states and may have to take annual classes.
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is licensed and regulated through the State Boards of Accountancy. The exam has four sections and takes two days.
- A Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) requires 2 years experience plus an exam issued by the Institute of International Auditors.
- A Certified Management Accountant (CMA) requires an exam; 2 years work experience and compliance with professional conduct standards. It is issued by the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA).
Websites to visit: