First-year Opportunities for Community & University Service
Statement of Purpose
First-year students participate in service learning and civic engagement experiences during their first weeks of college and to continue to build on the foundation through meaningful service to their campus community as well as to the local community.
Beginning with the FYE Day of Service on August 24, 2013, new students will discover what we mean by the “Western Way”.
For more about the mission and goals, please visit this page.
For the campus map of project quadrants, please visit this page.
For a calendar of first-year service opportunities for 2013-14, please visit this page.
Service & Learning in the first year of college
On or near campus
- Campus Pride: adopt a project for the year!
- Streets – Sidewalks - Walking trails
- Building grounds entry-ways
- Creek clean-up
- Trail Blazers: work on the WCU Trail
- Green thumbs:
- Campus beautification & landscaping
- Work in the Campus garden
- Write cards to the elderly
- Write letters to veterans
- Civic Responsibility:
- Pass out information about elections
- Help with voter registration
- Freedom of expression wall
- Game days: help prepare for and clean-up after home games
- Mountain Heritage Day
- College days
- Neighborhood watch: look out for each other!
- Arts street team: help publicize campus arts and culture events
- Recycling: make a difference for the next thousand years….
- So many more options….
- School Tutoring
- Community Table
- Rest Home visits
- Animal Shelters
- Whee Garden Club (at Cullowhee Valley School)
- Day of Service projects in the community beyond campus
- And so many more – the limit is defined only with your
imagination and commitment.
To sign up:
Please register at https://orgsync.com/54768/forms/77889. For more information, contact Jennifer Cooper at email@example.com.