Banner Finance Training Policy
Training efforts and materials are focused towards those users who can update Banner Finance and in areas where interpretation of Finance data is deemed more critical. NO USER with update privileges to Banner Finance will be granted access prior to completion of appropriate training. Requests for query only access must include attestation from the requestor that campus-specific, self-directed training materials provided by the Controller's Office will be competed prior to accessing Banner Finance (see Request Form for attestation).
Campus specific training is available on the Financial Services Home Page. You must be logged into your campus computer or accessing campus resources though VPN in order to view this content which is behind the university firewall. For detailed instructions about obtaining VPN access, please contact the IT help line at 227-7487.
Banner Finance User Training Procedures
- New employees will be given access instructions to Banner Finance self-help training materials as part of new employee intake through the WCU Human Resources Department.
- New employees or employees new to Banner Finance will be required to certify that self-help training materials will be utilized prior to attempting to access Banner Finance.
- Self-help training materials will be made available online to WCU employees, secured within the WCU intranet.
- Self-help materials for beginner, intermediate and advanced users will be made available on the Financial Services Home Page
- Individual or group "in-person" training session will be offered to supplement the online materials as requested or deemed necessary based upon user interaction.
- Formal training sessions and training materials will be developed as appropriate and as necessary for all users who will be granted updated access to Banner Finance.
- A training program specific to the user will be developed utilizing SunGard provided materials to the fullest extent possible, with local materials developed and provided as needed.
- All training will occur in a test environment until the user can demonstrate competency in Banner skills appropriate for production (PROD) level access.
- The Systems and Procedures unit of the Controller's Office will, upon confirmation that formal training has been completed, submit a formal Banner Finance security class request to IT granting access appropriate to training and desired role(s) within Banner Finance.